Mountain Humane (in Hailey, Idaho) is on a mission to enrich the quality of life in our community by connecting animals and people. We do this through innovative programs that inspire and have impact beyond southern Idaho. The first “no-kill” shelter in the state of Idaho (in 1999), annually we help more than 2,500 animals and touch the lives of more than 5,000 people through our programs. We are proud to be a model for other animal welfare organizations and to be at the forefront of best-practices in non-profit management.
The Maintenance Assistant/Custodian performs routine semi-skilled custodial and maintenance work in the care and upkeep of the Mountain Humane facilities and grounds. This position works closely with the Building Manager, and other staff through-out the organization, to respond to organization needs, including constantly considering how to most efficiently complete tasks to best steward donor dollars.
Classification: Full-time, Non-Exempt
Reports to: Building Manager
Collaborates with: All staff as needed
Location: Hailey, Idaho
High school diploma or equivalent
For safety purposes, must be able to read, speak, and understand English
Possession of a valid appropriate driver's license
No allergies to cats or dogs
Ability to work with hand tools and to be mechanically inclined
Experience operating small equipment such as a pallet jack, snow blower, and/or Toolcat is advantageous
Must work well with the public, including children, persons of varied racial, ethnic, cultural, socioeconomic backgrounds, sexual preference, and with individuals who are differently-abled
Should exhibit a positive attitude, common sense, flexibility, and teamwork with ability to exercise independent judgment
- Cleans assigned indoor facilities (i.e. offices, corridors, multipurpose room, walls, windows, breakrooms, kitchen, etc.)
- Cleans assigned outdoor facilities (i.e. parking areas, sidewalks, pavers, storage, refuse areas, windows, door, siding, lawn, etc.)
- Assist in proper disposal of indoor and outdoor garbage and recycling
- Assist in opening procedures and/or securing facilities after business hours or special events (i.e. removing ice and snow, sanding walkways, verify lights are off and doors are locked, etc.)
- Distributes and replenishes supplies (i.e. soap dispensers, towels, toilet paper dispensers, etc.)
- Maintains adequate inventory of supplies and informs Building Manager of any needed replacements
- Makes minor repairs (i.e. changing light bulbs, unclogging drains, sinks, toilets, etc.)
- Inspects facilities to ensure safe, attractive and sanitary conditions
- Identifies and immediately reports to Building Manager any damage, emergency situations, safety issues, vandalism, equipment breakage, etc.
- Assists in seasonal grounds work (i.e. snow removal, ice mitigation, lawn care)
- Maintains security in the building and responds to safety and/or operational concerns (i.e. facility damage, injured and ill individuals, unauthorized persons, alarms, etc.)
- Assists with set up and break down of special events equipment
- Maintain inventory of items and equipment needed for special events (i.e. inspection, maintained, cleaned, stored, etc.)
- Maintains accurate and current maintenance records
- Assume responsibility for all keys signed out
- May expect to be contacted during off-duty hours and requested to report to work, primarily in the event of an emergency
- Maintain a neat and well-groomed personal appearance
- Wear supplied uniforms and closed toed shoes during all working hours
- Comply with all facility safety protocols
- Assist in maintaining overall facility cleaning standards
- Carry out other duties as assigned by supervisor
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Indoors and outdoors, including in shelter environment with dogs, cats, pocket pets
- Frequent interactions with children who may or may not be well-behaved, occasional contact with the public in an emotionally charged environment
- Animal handling required; while all adoptable animals have health and behavior screening, by nature of the industry, there may be occasional exposure to dead, injured, sick, unruly, vicious, and/or dangerous animals in addition to possible exposure to parasites and infectious diseases
- Constantly uses equipment, objects and tools in repetitive motions (i.e. vacuum, mop, floor scrubber, sweeping, painting, etc.)
- Frequently reaches above head and reaches forward (i.e. dusting, washing windows, accessing supplies, mounting objects on the wall, changing ceiling tiles, etc.)
- Occasionally ascends/descends a ladder
- May require driving of company vehicles. Must maintain a valid driver’s license and good driving record. Drivers information will be submitted to the carrier
- Regular use driving of company vehicles; employee’s must be at least the age of 18
- Occasional use driving of company vehicles; employees under the age of 18 must be preapproved by the carrier
- Work day includes walking, standing, sitting, bending, squatting, lifting (occasionally up to 50 lbs), answering telephones, and using a computer, work with a variety of cleaning agents, and work in an environment with daily changes in climate
HOURS, SALARY & BENEFITS:
Hours: Full-time position, 40 hours per week, some nights & weekend days as necessary for scheduled maintenance, events, weather impacts, or facility related emergencies. Final schedule to be determined with Supervisor based on organizational needs.
Compensation: $16-20 per hour, depending on experience, certifications, proficiency in job tasks, and ability to work cooperatively while fostering the mission of the organization.
Benefits: Mountain Humane provides health insurance for the employee, personal time off, 403b retirement plan and other benefits as outlined in the Employee Handbook.
Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and levels of work performed by this position, but are not a complete list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Either employer or employee may terminate the employment relationship at any time with or without notice and with or without cause.